Pages

Monday, September 10, 2012


Fingerprints

In order to study my own fingerprints, I used the graphite from my pencil to enhance my print.  I then placed it onto the top of a filing cabinet in my office.  I used my lift tape to lift the print and examine it.  I found that my print is of a plain whorl pattern.  I had some difficulty locating a latent print in my house.  I assumed there would be one on the kitchen counter.  I did not have the means of locating a latent print, so I just sprinkled some of my print powder on the counter.  I do not know if we were supposed to receive a fingerprint brush with our forensic kit, but I do have a magnetic applicator.  This applicator is hard to use.  I did not locate a latent print.  I pressed my hand on the counter and repeated the previous step, but I still could not locate a print.  I pressed my finger on a handheld mirror and had better luck with it.  I was able to lift the print with the help of some of the fingerprint powder.  It was not a very good impression on the tape, I do not know if I used too much powder or not enough.  I read in the textbook that it takes practice to do it properly, maybe that is the problem, lack of practice.  I have no ink to use for fingerprints, so I used the graphite from my pencil.  It works, but not very well.  The only prints that I was able to compare were my own.  I also only have black fingerprint powder, so I am limited to where I can lift prints.  I also have to be on a flat surface to use the magnetic applicator.  I am not sure if I am using it properly, there is limited instruction on its use in the text.  It seems to take forever to apply enough powder to lift the print.  Maybe you could shed some insight on this subject, I would really like to get this down, it is very interesting to me.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Crime Scene (Livingroom)

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Crime Scene (Bedroom/Office)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment